On June 18th 1934, Charlotte citizens met at Ivey’s Diner to organize an association that would work with individuals who are blind or visually impaired in Mecklenburg County. Mr. Charles B. Haze, Field Director of the American Foundation for the Blind, of New York, was the speaker.The stated purpose of the association was “to further the interests of the blind and to open to them all possible avenues of independence and self-support through investigations, education, and recreation”.
In October 1935, the association, with the assistance of the Charlotte Lion’s Club opened the Charlotte Workshop for the Blind.During 1956, the association made plans to expand its services and since additional office space was needed, a building which had formally been a residence was purchased at 704 Louise Avenue. This is where the agency resides today.
For 85 years the agency has held fast to its mission which, today is to reduce or eliminate the daily living challenges imposed upon people by blindness or visual impairment. We could not do this work without the help of our dedicated staff, volunteers, donors, community and corporate partners and most of all our wonderful clients who bring us so much joy and inspiration.